Thursday, June 4, 2009

St Hugh's Church Gate Newton Park Algoa Bay Port Elizabeth



To use this image quote: Our Christian Heritage/www.portelizabethtimes.blogspot.com/jpg 65122/2009

-73-
82. THE REASON WHY (24)
(Published in Poetry Book “Reflections” – 1990)

Oh God, I thank You for the hurts and struggles I have known,
And for those many times it seemed that I was so alone,
I thank You for the problems and for teaching me to cry
for it’s only now that, looking back, I see the reason why.

If right throughout life’s journey my future seemed all clear,
I’d never feel the comfort of Your presence ever near,
I would not have the faith I have to trust Your guiding hand,
Or see that through the many trials my life has all been planned.

So now when I meet others who’re filled with fear and doubt,
Rejected, lost, unwanted, and feeling so left out,
I know just how they’re hurting and can identify,
And through my every heartache, I’ve learned the reason why.

I’ve been so caught up with myself, I never looked to see
that others in the world around were needing love from me;
My selfishness had blinded me until I met with You,
And then You showed me lovingly just what I’m here to do.

Fill me with more love, Lord, and genuine concern,
For all these lonely people, let desire within me burn,
Make it a goal in life for me to always stand close by
until to others like me, I’ll show the reason why.

Take me, Holy Spirit, and remould me as You please
Keep me always humble and down upon my knees,
Help me submit completely and to let You have Your way,
And to trust Your perfect leading, every moment, every day.

I see now all the suffering which You caused me to go through
was just a way to build me up – so I’d depend on You,
To make me much more gentle, and for others learn to cry,
To understand their hardships, NOW I know the reason why.

When I face more problems, don’t let me once complain
For now I’ve learned that they aren’t given to me all in vain;
Teach me to accept them so that I can help along
those strugglers I will meet with, because You’ve made me strong.


Used with permission
SJA
copyright