Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Prince Alfred's Gaurd Building Algoa Bay Port Elizabeth




TRUE VALUES

My deepest desire is no longer for things which fade and pass me by,
Although it has been so long now that my heart on these things has been fixed;
But I’ve finally learnt they can never meet my needs, or satisfy,
Which is why I’ve felt so unsettled and my feelings have been so mixed.

So many people hanker after what this life can bring
And money seems the only thing they struggle to attain;
Riches, fame and prestige to the world are everything
And they view the Christian way of life with scorn and much disdain.

I know we need the basic things in order to survive,
For we are only human and feel hunger, cold and pain,
Food and warmth and clothing to keep us all alive
And homes to give us shelter from the storms and wind and rain.

God created people and so does understand
That we are weak and needy, for He was human too;
He faced each problem that we face, He walked a sin-sick land
Was tempted, tried and punished for wrong He didn’t do.

I have a deep supreme desire to be like Jesus Christ,
To follow Him more closely and make Him King and Lord;
And by His grace I’ll never from His presence be enticed
by all the thrills and glamour that this poor world can afford.

Make me more like You, Lord, and fill me with that love
which burned within Your tender heart and sent You down to earth;
You sacrificed Your everything when You left Your home above,
to lead us to Your Father and to show us what we’re worth.

So touch me, dear Lord Jesus, and make me Yours alone,
Remove the sin within my life and make me fully whole;
Be real to me each moment, more real than I have known
Let me seek things of value – make heaven my only goal.

Reproduced with permission
SJA