Prince Alfreds Guard, South Africa 1968 #000001
The regiment with their colour on their anniversary parade. At the time the regiment was almost entirely national servicemen. The men wear the SA version of the British battle dress with beret. At the time they were armour equipped with Centurion tanks
Prince Alfred's Guard (PAG) is an infantry regiment of the South African Army a reserve unit. The Regiment is located in the city of Port Elizabeth.
Prince Alfred's Guard was established on 19 September 1856 as the Port Elizabeth Volunteer Rifle Corps. In 1860 the title Prince Alfred's Guard was assumed unofficially (after Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh) and on 11 July 1874 this name was officially sanctioned as Prince Alfred's Volunteer Guard. The name was later changed to Prince Alfred's Guard.
It has fought in all the major wars South Africa has been involved in Including WWII where it fought alongside the 24th Guards Brigade
Picture Source and quotation: https://www.flickr.com/photos/32892154@N04/13532146913