Monday, March 22, 2010

Complacency? or Commitment? (25) Algoa Bay Port Elizabeth

I grew up in a Christian home, and kept each golden rule,
I learned my Bible verses and went to Sunday School,
I never missed a service and never once was late,
I always wore a hat to church (‘til this went out of date).

I wrote exams on Scripture and often won a prize,
I always was so honest (or only told white lies)!
I let my friends around me know just how far I’d go,
I was the perfect Christian and told each heathen so.

I grew up quite an angel (just how each Christian should),
I always showed my family how kind I was – how good,
I found it very easy to love those who loved me,
I only knew a life of ease and bliss and harmony.

I taught a class at Sunday School for several years at least,
I never lost my temper with ANY little beast,
I also joined the choir and always sang on key,
I was so glad to be of help – to think they needed ME!

I never dreamed of stealing, or committing any crime,
I always gave my offerings and my gifts and tithes on time;
I never went to movies (if the film should not be seen)
I exercised such self-control, and was pure, upright and clean.

I never let my Saviour down, I always gave my best,
I never drank or smoked or swore – was always neatly dressed,
I never went to dances, or places filled with sin,
I was assured, as martyr, my place was booked in heaven.

UNTIL

God showed me very clearly how misled I’d always been,
How much of self and sin in me, by Him, was plainly seen,
He knew those foolish motives which I’d tried so hard to hide
were brought about by nothing else but arrogance and pride.

He pointed out to me one day just where I had gone wrong,
Just doing things for Jesus couldn’t thus make me belong’
He wanted all that I could give, myself, my life, my soul
He didn’t want a part of me, no, not a part, - the whole.

He taught me that each goal I had, and all I’d striven for
were only to gain greater things, so that He’d give me more,
It seemed that I had served Him, not from love of any kind
but only to escape from hell, and a home in heav’n to find.

He let me know what He required from every child He knew,
and HOW distressed and shocked I was to see things in this view,
He didn’t want my gifts and wealth, or pious, moral ways,
He only wanted love from me, and service all my days.

The things I fondly cling to, I need to learn are loss,
That following Jesus means denial, and taking up my cross,
That loving people means not only those who love me much,
But also those outside my sphere, those I don’t usually touch.

How sad that in this sin-sick world, so many just like me
Are comfortable and finding life for Jesus much too free,
They warm the pews on Sundays and give most generously,
But far from being committed, they live complacently

Reproduced with permission