Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Prayer of Surrender Algoa Bay Port Elizabeth

Lord, forgive me for my failures, there are many, that I know,
So often I have let You down, and grieved Your Spirit so;
All the grumbling and complaining and the times when I forget
that you, in loving mercy, have never failed me yet.

I’ve always been so selfish, so proud, and yes, so greedy,
I seldom spare a passing thought for the poor, the sick, the needy,
How I long to be more faithful, more patient and more true;
To live a life that’s wholly pure – in fact, to be like You.

Forgive me for being bitter when things don’t go my way,
I’m tired of fighting You, O God, please teach me to obey,
Show me where I’m needed, no matter where it be,
I want to serve You, Jesus, for You gave Your all for me.

Help me to remember that I now am not my own,
I am Your child, You must have all, for You sit on the throne;
There’s much I’m holding on to, that’s wrong, and that’s unclean,
Help me surrender everything, trust in You and on You lean.

Dear Lord, I ask no longer for things outside Your will,
You see ahead and through it all will never bring me ill,
Many are the plans I’ve made which often came to naught,
Because I tried to leave You out- Your will I never sought.

I do not understand You will but believe that You know best,
And all the trials I’m facing You have put there as a test,
I need so much to trust in You, to take You at Your Word,
Or I’ll never know true happiness, which is what I lack, dear Lord.

Oh Father, take away these doubts that cause me such despair,
My future seems uncertain and I’m often filled with fear,
Yet I know You care – You’ve promised me You’ll always hold my hand,
Teach me to walk the path You want, the path for me You’ve planned.

Help me always, Lord, to steer my love in the right direction,
Millions are lonely and loveless, and need to be shown some affection’
Teach me to love the unlovely, asking not to be loved in return,
Being gracious enough to accept life’s rebuffs is something I still have to learn.

So use me Lord, however You want, I’ve wasted Your time far too long
on my own selfish needs and this is why I never have got on,
For too long now I’ve been self-pitying and trying to run my own life
No wonder I’ve been so frustrated and filled with such inward strife.

Thank You, Precious Jesus, for the good things You’ve given to me
Help me to even feel thankful for the fact that I’m single and free,
Free to be independent, even though it’s not quite what I’d choose
If You have control of my life, Lord, I know that I cannot lose.

I’m yielding my all to You, Jesus, before You I now humbly bow,
Each trial and temptation You give me, I’m accepting right there and now,
And whenever I have moments when I feel lonely and blue,
Turn me from myself, Lord, to reach out to others, for You.